Caring for outerwear made with GORE-TEX® fabric is easy:
- First, check the care label on your garment, and do what it says. Zip up the main zipper and pit zips if you have them before washing, but you can leave the pockets open so they get clean. Stains can be removed using a stain remover like Shout and a toothbrush.
- Use a liquid or powder detergent without scent or fabric softener, and wash the garment on the warm setting in your washing machine. Choose either the "normal" or "heavy" wash cycle. If you use a powder, it's a good idea to let the agitator run for a minute or so after the tub fills with water to dissolve the detergent before putting your garment in. Do not use chlorine bleach or fabric softener. To insure that all the detergent is out of the fabric, run the "rinse" cycle again using no detergent, only water..
- Tumble dry the garment on the warm setting. Heat helps reactivate the DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish.
- If your garment has lost the ability to bead up water, reapply a spray-on Durable Water Repellent - sprays are preferable to wash-in products because they don't permeate the membrane side of the fabric. Tumble dry the garment on the warm setting in your dryer to activate the DWR finish.
- Wash your GORE-TEX® garments as often as needed to keep them clean; dirt, sweat and body oils can hamper the waterproof breathability of your clothing.
- Note: While we love GORE-TEX® fabric and refer to it specifically, this procedure will work for any waterproof breathable fabric.
Learn More With Our Outerware Guides Below:
Waterproof Ratings & Breathability Guide
Insulated Garments – How to Choose
Base Layers & Long Underwear – How to Choose
GORE-TEX® Fabric – How it Works & Product Testing
Backcountry – How to Dress
This is evo. We are a ski, snowboard, wake, skateboard and clothing retailer online with a physical store in Seattle. Our goal is to provide you with great information to make your purchase easy.
Still have questions? Please give our customer care team a call at 866-386-1590, Customer Care Hours.